Seth Goodwin, a junior at Wewahitchka High School, has won the regional level of the Veterans of Foreign Wars’ “Voice of Democracy” scholarship essay
* Seth Goodwin, a junior at Wewahitchka High School, has won the regional level of the Veterans of Foreign Wars’ “Voice of Democracy” scholarship essay competition. This year’s theme was: “Is there pride in serving in our military?” Seth now moves on to the state level competition. Seth has also been named Gulf County’s “STEM” (science, technology, engineering, math) scholar and will represent Gulf County Schools in Gainesville in January.
* McKenna Waters has been named the Wewahitchka Women’s Club “HOBY” (Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership) representative and will attend a leadership conference in Tallahassee next summer.
* The varsity cheerleaders of WHS have become involved in the fight against cancer by forming a “Relay for Life” team. They are selling “cancer ribbons” to raise funds for donation to the American Cancer Society. The ribbons can be purchased in memory of someone or simply as a show of support for the cause. Tickets are $1, and the goal is $500 by Christmas and $1,000 by April 1, 2013.
* The annual Wewahitchka High School “Science Fair” was held on Nov. 27-28 in the Learning Media Center. Students in grades 10-12 participated. Senior Shelby Wood, who won first place last year and advanced to regional and state competitions, won first place again this year with year two of her project, “The Effects of ‘Original Five-Hour Energy’ on Heart Rate”. Other winners included: Cordale Green, second place; McKenna Waters, third place; Nicole Morril, fourth place; Kara Zucci, fifth place. Honorable mentions were awarded to: Hunter Bailey, Josh Mayer, Annmaree Hess, Seth Goodwin, and Cory White. This year’s judges included a nurse, an engineer, and an energy specialist. The winners will be participating in the “Three Rivers Regional Science Fair” in January at the FSU-Panama City campus. WHS hopes to have regional winners participating in the state competition in March or April.
* Senior Jessica Smith was named “Scholar Athlete of the Week” by ABC affiliate WMBB, Channel 13, for the week of Nov. 26.