A century store


The Costin family will celebrate 100 years of business in Port St. Joe this Saturday. R.A. Costin built this brick store where Half Hitch Tackle is today in 1914. The store was on the first floor, Costin’s family on the second.

Courtesy of Sylvia Costin
Published: Thursday, July 17, 2014 at 09:26 AM.

T.H. Stone is considered settler number one for modern Port St. Joe.

R.A. Costin would be settler number two.

And this weekend the Costin family will celebrate the 100th anniversary of business in downtown Port St. Joe with a celebration at Ace Hardware on Williams Avenue.

The store will mark the anniversary on Saturday, July 19.

The landmark day is a celebration of the first brick building built in Port St. Joe in 1914 by R.A. Costin, who used the lower floor as his general store while his growing family – he would have eight children, three who died tragically young – lived in the upper floor.

At the time, Stone had established the settlement of modern Port Saint Joseph within a mile or two of the former town which had been wiped out by a yellow fever epidemic more than 100 years prior.

The brick store Costin opened was located at the site of what is now the Half Hitch Tackle Store on U.S. Highway 98 in Port St. Joe.

1 2 3 4

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top