Fishermen: Save the bay – without the FWC

Published: Thursday, June 26, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

He said if the bay grass beds continue to decline local stakeholders may have no say in the future and access to the bay.

“The last thing I want to see done is to have the Pew Fund or somebody else come in here and limit our access,” May said. “My intent was to help the city by being proactive.

“If we don’t protect our bay from people who are damaging our habitat we are going to be in trouble.”

May said the majority of culprits are visitors who are “renting” the bay for their vacation. Beyond a lack of knowledge about channels and protecting the seagrass, many just “don’t care.”

“I didn’t think anything (I proposed) was controversial,” May said. “I want it to stay open so we can all enjoy it. And I want it to be healthy.”

Beyond the contact with the FWC exploring enforcement of existing rules about grass destruction, May’s initiative included educational material at boat ramps and launches, billboards and signs as well as seeking funding to mark the existing channels.

As several mentioned last week, the old buoy system marking the channels worked to reduce seagrass destruction.



1 2 3 4 5
Next

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top
 

Get new customers and grow your business with Daily Deals.com - see how it works