Port St. Joe resident rescues family from burning house

Published: Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

After the blaze was out, he went back into his bedroom and was shocked to see that the soot on his blankets had nearly reached where his head had been.

“We really are blessed,” he said. “Alex did a phenomenal job of helping us.”

James, Jr., owner of Dri-Brite Carpet and Upholstery Cleaners, also thanked members of the community who had since donated materials and volunteered their time to rebuild the house.

“That’s the good thing about being in a small community--everyone looks out for everyone,” said James, Jr. “Not many people would go into a burning house.”

According to Ford, the stove was left on and ignited a patch of grease, though the fire was contained to the stove and cabinet areas. Betty and James, Sr. were transported to the hospital and treated for burns.



1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

COMMENTS
▲ Return to Top