A Florida man contracted flesh-eating bacteria while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, WKMG reports.

Mike Walton told WFTS-TV he was stuck by a fish hook Saturday while fishing about 20 miles off the coast of Palm Harbor.

His hand started swelling and he later visited the hospital, where he received antibiotics.

By Easter Sunday, Walton said there were black bubbles growing on his wounded hand.

He was rushed to Tampa General Hospital, where infectious disease doctors began treating him.

The doctors considered amputating his arm, but were able to remove the bacteria, according to Walton.

Walton said he's expected to be released from the hospital Thursday and will be on antibiotics for a month.

Read more here.